Death and Its Memories

I woke up early this morning and heard about Michael Jackson's death at the cafeteria when I was getting my breakfast. The man was saying something about not opening his stall in tribute to his death. I did not think much of it when I first heard it so I then headed to the library and checked the newspaper just to make sure of it. There wasn't anything written about it so I thought, "Okay...It's not real". I only found out the truth later when I checked the mail.

When I first hear it I thought it was all a joke because to me Michael Jackson seems like an iconic person. That he would one day die is a fact, but I never thought it would be so soon. To me, he seems like a permanent fixture, like he is going to be there for a long time. It was sad to know he is a mortal after all and death comes at unexpected times.

I was never a big fan of Michael Jackson. I first know about him when my dad got his album and played it on the television. I was amazed with the way he expressed himself, with the way he dance, the way he sings. Everything about him shouts unique because he creates his own identity, one that is different than all the other singers at that time. His videos are always entertaining because they tell a story that is related to the songs he sang. I especially loved the magical feel of the "Black and White" video. It was amazing how he could turn a taboo subject about races into a catchy tune while telling us we are all equal no matter what colour our skin is. I will never forget the way he danced on the car and turned into a panther right at the end of the video because it was something frightening to me when I was a kid.

I do not know many of his songs because I feel he is at his best when he sings about the environment and world issues. From "Heal the World" to "Thriller" and "Beat It", all these songs has been something that brings back fond memories of my childhood. Whether or not the scandal embroiling him just before his death was a matter of truth or deception is not something that we, the outsiders will know. However it is, I wished people could respect the dead and not criticize them simply by ear. His death seems to be a laughing matter to a few people who think they have the right to judge when they know nothing about the full extent of the situation. There are a few who said, "Good...now we don't have to worry about kids being sexually abused because there's one less wacko". His music is what one should be focusing on and not his scandals or controversies. It is sad to know that he will only be remembered for his eccentric behaviour and the scandals that he got himself into when he was alive and not for all the wonderful things that he has done to make the world a better place music wise.

May you rest in peace MJ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Flashback and Its Implications on the Not So Distant Future

Crazy Adventure is....

Worse Case Scenario