Reading Hazards

Anyone who knows me for a time knows how much I love books. It doesn’t matter what it is, from fictions (definitely, my favourites!) to newspapers or even the back of a cereal box, I will read it as long as it’s something with words written on it. Not having a permanent resident in KL can be a pain sometimes. I’ve moved to KL for almost two years now and throughout these years I’ve accumulated a small number of books that has completely nothing to do with my studies. Whenever I return back to my hometown I will bring a small number of books that I bought in KL back home and somehow end up bringing a few books back to KL and continue building up my collection of books. There’s no place to put all these books, I end up placing them inside boxes and all the books is littered on the floor beside my bed. That is no way to treat books. I know it and I'm guilty as charged, but nothing can be done about it unless I stop buying books or I keep returning back home to clear up the books in KL. I suppose this explains why I’ve always loved the library because it’s the only place where I can read the books that I most probably cannot afford without having to pay for them. The ‘no space’ factor is another reason, no doubt. The quietness inside a library is so peaceful it is almost tangible in the air. The serenity that surrounds me every time I step inside makes me feel like I’ve gone to a heaven complete with all the angels playing their harps by the gateway. Even though there’s quietness inside, I can still almost feel the books shouting at me, telling me to pick them up and bring them home. The number of times I’ve visited the library has been so numerous that no matter which library it is the librarian will recognise me or in the case of the Setapak library, knows me by my first name. I guess that goes to show how dire my social life is or to put it in a better way, how much I love my books. However, as cool as it might seem to be to have a librarian recognising me, there’s a downside to this. Every time, I borrow a book I have to pass by the said librarian and he’ll check the books I bring out. This is because that is his duty. He has to check whether if the books borrowed from the library is checked out properly. I totally understand his duty but it’s extremely exasperating because every time without fail, he would comment something or another about the books I borrow. I know I'm supposed to accept his views with a pinch of salt and it really isn’t a big problem but I still can’t stand it because I feel what I read is something private and I don’t want people knowing what it is unless I choose to divulge the information. I read according to my mood. Just because I'm doing an engineering course does not mean I have to read serious, technical, sciency books all the time. If I feel like reading something frivolous I want to be able to borrow the book without having to explain my palate to anyone. I guess I'm supposed to accept this reality in a resigned and resolute way. -__-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crazy Adventure is....

ALOHA~ **\\(^O^)//**

The End